Q. Do you eat snacks from a bag and before you know it, have finished the whole thing?
Q. Do you finish your meal without really pausing and enjoying the food?
Q. Do you tend to munch away while watching TV?
If so, it may be a great idea to practice portion control. If you eat a meal while watching TV you may end up eating 10~20% more than you would have eaten without those distractions. If you aim your focus on just eating, you can avoid overeating. Below are some more tips!
- When you eat a meal, try eating under soft lighting.
- Turn off the TV.
- Play calming music.
- Create a comfortable dining atmosphere.
- Avoid trigger foods.
- Skip all you can eat buffets.
- Share your entree/dessert.
- Buy single servings.
- Avoid binge-eating by eating every 3-4 hours.
- Replace the candy jar with a fruit bowl.
- Wait 20 minutes before deciding to go for seconds.
- Keep snacks hidden away from sight.
- Drink some water before your meal.
- Use smaller plates/glasses.
- Do not snack out of the bag.
- Take time to chew thoroughly (your food should be mush before it is swallowed).
- Savour and enjoy every bite.